View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 08:33 AM

Default Re: FLO8 - Fluctations or Mistakes?

Sorry folks, I'm going to have to respond to points in digestible pieces.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If a hand stands up, it's generally a smaller pot due to lack of aggressive players to help me push pot equity advantages.

[/ QUOTE ]That could be because you always have a good starting hand and then you always have a flop fit when you stay in the hand. While that’s a good way to play, if your opponents start thinking of you as a rock, you’ll have trouble getting action when you’re in a hand.

I’m guessing you’re a solid player who pushes your edges. And your opponents will notice that after a while, see you as a rock, and tighten up against you.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a very good point. But the general character of these games is : 1 or 2 bets pre-flop, 1 bet on flop, usually 1 bet on turn, and 1 or 2 bets on the river.

The flop play is loose, and very passive. I look for spots as you say to build the pot with advantage on flop raises, but they are few and far between. Whilst I may, get to isolate a donk bettor on a HHL flop, very many passive players will check/call rather than risking putting 2 bets in, even when they should be pushing out the Lo draws.

The problem, is not a lack of 'action', it is too much of the wrong sort of action, and gutless wimpy flop play by loose-passive (and tight-passive) players, who are afraid of being 3 bet.

It's not just me who never sees flop or turn raises, it's the 'agreed'way the hands are played.

If the games looser, 5+ players on flops, then it's very easy to win, but very, very tedious and boring after a while.

In a tight game, with Rocky play, 2,3 players on most flops, I can play poker and grind out consistent scores. I have to be very disciplined but I beat those tables.

The problem area is the 'grey' zone, usually 4 players on a flop, with 2 or 3 bets pre-flop, and 1 bet on the flop, and most turns.

The Starting hand advantages are marginal, and these mindless callers don't make any mistakes like folding, a hand that might win something!

Finally, in Hold'em although those kind of games can be frustrating, I've always found ways to beat them, and generally can give the illusion of 'Action' so, getting paid is not a problem for me.

In FLO8 with the betting structure as is, it appears that loose-aggressive pre-flop, loose-passive players post-flop can push you in the Rock direction; and simply play a mindless strategy and yet avoid through mutual support losing significant chips.

There's something wrong, when top set is a 'marginal' hand, and not a no-brainer raise of a loose calling field. Top 2 pair should be where the 'margin' is. Someone calling on runner-runner str8 draw where their live cards put Lo's on the board 6 - 13 times, really are making an awful play and ought to be charged for their willingness to do it.