View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Scotty Nguyen on WSOP last night

Who remembers what has nothing to do with poker. The important issue here is whether Scotty mismanaged his position. He did -- he said he did. Fame and glory is of no value here; what is of value is what we (and more importantly, Scotty) can learn from the situation.

It wasn't the cards or the field or the TV or anything else that made Scotty go broke; it was Scotty. The one variable in poker that is always the hardest to overcome is ourselves. This is something that I hope Scotty will work on because I really hope that he doesn't see this main event as his final failure, but rather as an opportunity to see where he can improve himself as a poker player. There's no shame whatsoever in finding faults in one's self -- in fact, being able to see those faults and improve upon them is probably the most respectable thing that a poker player can do. The least respectable thing is to believe that we're finished and that we've lost some once-in-a-lifetime chance that fate has given us to do something great. Scotty's a great player, and he can do it again. If you think this is impossible, just look back at how many people would have thought it was possible for Scotty to have made it as deep (and so impressively so) as he did this main event.

Bottom line: I'd never deny Scotty the respect he deserves until and unless he gives up on himself. This year was just another opportunity to find space for improvement.