View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Atlanta: Your favorite things to do or places to go

[quote}
To start, I'll talk about Whole World Improv Theatre. They do two shows Friday and Saturday (and have an apprentice show sometime during the week) that costs $21-$24 depending on when you buy. A group of friends and I went a little while ago when someone's boss got them free tickets and it was a lot of fun. Small venue on Spring St. between 16th and 14th with plenty of parking for like $2 by the Shell station.

There's a small bar inside (well, beer and wine) and you're free to drink in the theatre. And actually, it's not really a theater, just some stadium seating with couches so you might end up sharing a couch with somebody you've never met before. Pretty cool vibe overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like WWT, but I prefer Dad's Garage. I like the atmosphere better there, it's more shabby (yes, that's a good thing in this case) and I find their structure and actors to be better (IOW: funnier).

I was sad when the Echo Lounge closed. But East Atlanta is still a great area to go out drinking. The East Side Lounge is OK, though it's probably a lot different. I used to go often when it was the Fountainhead. I really miss the Heaping Bowl, too. The Earl has one of the best hamburgers on the planet (according to WSJ, the top three burgers in the US are all in Atlanta. The other two are Ann's Snack Bar and the Vortex).

Speaking of the Vortex, that's another fun place. It feels like a dive bar decorated by a motorcycle gang. Cheap drinks and the burgers are insane. They have a huge selection, including the coronary bypass burger and a wicked good black bean burger.

The Star Bar is good times. It's another dive bar type club that has great local/indie rock.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Martini's at IMAX is fun (Fernbank Museum). It's upscale and expensive, but qualilty. The drinks are solid and it's fun to drink in an ancient history museum. On other days it's decent museum, but not very large.

I will refrain from mentioning more restaurants. There are so many, but as mmbtone said, it will probably derail the thread to do so!