Thread: New Pet Peeve
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: New Pet Peeve

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

While in principle I agree that having non proficient enlgish speakers is annoying. But it's more annoying when I see people who don't realise that low level service employees are only capeable of (or interested in) performing the simplest of tasks, and that complaining to them is useless and you have to go to management if you have any expectation of getting an answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. and in many cases that non-fluent person is doing a job that some white kid didn't want, or doing it for less money.

anyway, it's not like you can't order your burger without pickles, you just can't ask them about whether the cow was given benzodiazapams to make it feel better before it got butchered. it's not like some dumb high school kid in the same spot is going to give you a great answer anyway, even if it's easier to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell me where this lands on the scale of important request/basic grasp of the English language:

A few years ago, I was having a lot of gastrointestinal problems, and my doctor thought I might be gluten-intolerant (can't even trace amounts of wheat, rye, barley or oats). I used to always go to Chipotle to get the crunchy tacos, and I'd always ask the guy preparing it to change his gloves (because they handle wheat tortillas). Chipotle (in a corporate sense) is very good about food intolerances and allergies, and the workers would always be happy to change the gloves (takes two seconds). I was in DC once, went to Chipotle and asked the woman behind the counter if she could change her gloves because of my "allergy" (easier to say that intolerance). She had no idea what I meant. I just kept mimicking taking off of gloves and asking her if she could change her gloves, because I can't eat wheat, etc. Another woman came over (presumably a manager of some kind), and neither of them had ANY idea of what I was trying to say. They just started laughing uncomfortably, and I got really [censored] annoyed. I ended up just leaving because I was steaming so badly at that point.

I feel like someone who's working in a consumer-oriented industry should understand "can you please change your gloves."