View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:59 PM

Default The Official \"Free istewart\" Thread

OK, obviously this movement is fighting an uphill battle. Perhaps even, an impossible battle.

Beyond that, I know that any conventional methods of getting him unbanned arent going to work.

So, I'll offer a proposal well aware that it has little or no chance to succeed. First, a little backstory:

About a year ago, when will was IP banned at school, I came up with the idea of creating an account for him to post with, that I could sort of monitor. Basically, he would send me the posts, and I would post them for him, and not let the most offensive ones go through. The name of the account was isteward. If you know the non-airline related definition of 'steward' its a great name (I didnt at the time saddlepoint proposed it, and then looked it up, and was like 'genius'). Anyway, that got to a wopping 7 posts before RB nuked the account (though, not for anything offensive, I had just talked to a few mods about it, just to make sure it was cool. RB ruled not OK).

Anyway, I think this sort of idea might still be fruitful. Basically, istewart (and the other 100 (quite possibly literally) accounts) is a controversial poster, but well liked by many. 15% of his posts are over the line, and the other 85% are often great. If those 15% never saw the light of day, I think he could be an asset to the forum.

What I propose (and Im not ever sure its possible with the software) is to give him one more shot, and let me have mod powers to edit/tempban his account. I'd make sure none of his crappier posts get through. And if I fail, you can ban both of us.

(just to counter to an obvious criticism: im sure some would think "why give someone who cant control himself a chance to post?", and to that I'd say that I believe that, even if an uncensored istewart is a detriment, a censored one is a benefit, since it strikes a balance between not pissing off those who hate him, and giving the fans what they want)