Thread: Why 3bet?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Why 3bet?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but id rather have a standard play that didnt require getting to showdown. Flat calling bloats the pot pf, and increases our chanc of getting to showdown, which I dont think is what AJ wants. Plus we dont get all that much value from a5 on the A92 board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flat calling doesn't bloat the pot, 3-betting does. I don't mind playing poker against a probably bad TAG, he'll in general c-bet and give up if he misses.. and if he has A5 on a A92, we're definitely getting more by playing the hand postflop than just the 4bb he raised preflop if we 3-bet and he folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the rare occassion that he has ace rag and the flop is a92 rainbow and he makes one pair then yes we might get 2 steets of value from our hand.

If he has KQ, 44, TJs, AQo, 78s and the flop is 953 rainbow we probablly take it down with a continuation bet against all those hands (with the exception of small pp's)

My point is that by calling we are signalling we dont have a great hand, and our opponents are more likely to continue with weaker holdings that might be the best hand atm, and if not are hands that can draw against us or use their position forcing us to hit a hand and make a pair.

If we reraise we are telling our opponent that we have a good hand and he needs better to continue. Thus he is going to value 44 lower on the 952 board when we re-pop it than when the pot is small.

Is this horrible thinking?