View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Re: desktop to go with Dell 24\"

[ QUOTE ]
Video card, you don't want anything that says integrated in it's name. For a 24" monitor I wouldn't get anything with less than 256MB in the name. If you have to skimp on something for budget reasons skimp on this last.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of 3D games, the amount of graphics RAM you have is pretty meaningless. Any modern PCI-E graphics adapter will drive a 24" monitor for "regular" windows stuff just fine. Hell, some integrated chipsets include DVI-out, these would work fine too. There are exceptions, of course, but this is mostly on older hardware. My thinkpad T43p, (Pentium M 1.7GHz with Radeon M300 graphics) has basically a defective graphics subsystem, and puts out a crappy DVI signal, which drives my 24" display nutso at 1920x1200. But that's pretty old hardware. Anything new should be just fine.

VGA is NOT good for 24" monitors, because 1920x1200 is technically out-of-spec for VGA. It works with some, but not others. I have a radeon X1300 that drives my 24" just fine over VGA, and I have other adapters that don't work at all over VGA.