Thread: Abiogenesis
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Abiogenesis

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This prime event occured. We have some general idea how it may have happened yet there's no hint that we can duplicate it with an effort that is so much more focused than a puddle of thin amino acid soup. At some point on the technology curve I think we can say that since we've failed to replicate the prime event we can assume random chance 4 billion years ago also failed to generate the prime event.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're exaggerating what we know of the conditions on early Earth. The Urey-Miller "early earth conditions" was mostly speculation - without knowing the composition early on, we can't really rule much out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, if early Earth conditions were known we could duplicate them and if after two or three billion years of observation we'd have some basis to reject the abiogenesis hypothesis if no life resulted.

It's reverse engineering, not duplicating unknown conditions. There must be some level of technology where our failure to create life allows us to also reject the abiogenesis hypothesis. Again, I think we're close to this level of technology.