View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: OT: [censored] thread, OCTOBER, READ RULES IN TOP POST

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think it's bad that I never really had any work experience before and that I'm 21?

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume that would be fairly unusual in most Western countries.

[ QUOTE ]
I never worked a job before besides playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to serve as a director of a company that ran a Careers & Employment service (both casual/part-time and also graduate emploment) for an Australian university.

Our research found that the key attributes* that Australian employers considered when employing recent graduates were:

1) Good marks

2) History of work (vacation, part-time, etc.)

3) Involvement in extra-curricular activities

Be aware, however, that this was only relevant for the first post-degree job. After that, the employer's value of these university activities decreased very, very quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
Will that affect me once I graduate with my bussiness degree?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes - but there is an obvious solution to fix this - get some work doing something. The precise nature of the work isn't overly important, as the difference between someone with work experience and without work experience is much larger than the difference between relevant work experience (working in finance or whatever) and any work experience (working at McDonalds or whatever)

*this excludes other attributes such as communication skills, problem solving, etc., which aren't so easily developed on a resume