Thread: Fold kings?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Fold kings?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he bets the river as well, I can fold knowing that I'm behind almost always.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh ? You really think 99-QQ almost never bets 1/2 pot turn and river ? Tons of mediocre players play like this, especially if the turn and river fall below their PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it hasn't fallen below their PP, because we have a Q and a T by the river. And, NO, NO, NO... Tons of mediocre players do NOT bet flop into a pre-flop raiser + cold-caller and then fire bets on both turn and river with a lower PP. And why would it be a mediocre player? It's probably from a higher stakes tournament. But you obv knows best, cause you play a bazillion low-limit 2-table SNG's...

I repeat what others have said and this is a fact: By calling the flop we are able to make the most when we're ahead and lose less when we're behind!

Just indulge those words and move on...

[/ QUOTE ]

Q,T adds no certainty to this hand on either side. His uncertainty that our hand has improved is countered by our mirrored uncertainty.

I don't see how you speak confidently about how a range of players would play an unimproved pair, or an improved pair. Lots of good players try to suck out pieces with an improved premium hand in this manner -- disguising one's hand is not just for donks. Just as lots of mediocre players will 1/2-2/3 pot bet all streets with an unimproved high pair, if for no other reason than they're afraid to face an overbet.

I don't think you can confidently say that a clear minority of good players try to move all the chips in with an improved premium hand, just as you can't confidently say that a clear majority of mediocre players with an unimproved high pair will give up after the turn.

Calling the flop does nothing to protect our hand. We let villain control the action when we have a hand that is very unlikely to improve.