View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Who would you take a bullet for?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

that would depress me very much. I think I would die for 10 random strangers, although I know people who would do it for 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is the Mother Teresa lifestyle they have adopted? How are they pursuing their clearly singular humanitarian vision, since they have such an uncommon love for Man?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dedicating their life to palliative care research.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they saving a lot of lives that way? It seems to me they could just go have themselves euthanized and donate organs and probably save 3-4 lives that way. Also, if you buying a plasma TV is on par with saving 10 Africans, isn't it horrendously selfish of you to get yourself killed to save 10 strangers when over the course of your life you could expect to save ~1000 with your purchases?

Essentially, my point is that this is a ridiculous question to be asking, because it's very easy to wax noble on it when, as phrased, it's very unlikely to ever be a question that we have to deal with. I think the actions of people who claim to be so overly altruistic generally reveal that what they state they think does not mesh with what they do.

I also think that a lot of people might try and perform heroic acts to save a relatively low number of lives if death is substantially likely but not guaranteed.