Thread: line histories?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: line histories?

[ QUOTE ]
100 on stars or Paypal for that NFL closing line data (94-07) in CSV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was working on putting this data from goldsheet.com into a database for some statistical analysis myself. Goldsheet does not use a consistent format and my guess is that they do that to slow down people like me. Sometimes they list a team by city, sometimes by team name, and when they abbreviate it, they do it differently sometimes (G. Bay vs. Gr. Bay vs. Packers, etc.) Manually entering the data into the database would take about 30-40 mins/season and could contain inaccuracies.

This, however, leads me to my next point that I came across last night but was tired and waited to post until today. I want to bring up the accuracy of goldsheet.com. As an example, they have the lines from last week up. They list the Arizona Cards at +5.5 and the Falcons at +2.5. I was under the impression that the general lines were closer to +6 and +3. Anyone care to comment on this specific instance? Anyone else notice this general trend? Did the sharps move this line late? Or is this just a marginal difference that I will have to live with given that different books list the lines at different values and goldsheet just takes one of them. I compared it with my 2006 season bets and some other ones were different as well. Although I keep track of the date I place my bet relative to the event date, it's still hard to tell if the difference is due to line moves or just different books.

Also, if I ever do finish this project, I'll probably just give the database away. If some one else has a db, please pm me and save me the time.