View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Continuity between life and afterlife?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the "nothingness" camp. It's entirely possible that once it's over, it's over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, certainly, most on this board share this stance. No doubt.

But I was trying to hear more from people along the lines of ALawPoker:

[ QUOTE ]
I sort of imagine our consciousnesses hovering in some dimension, and interacting with each other in some way that's impossible to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If "afterlife consciousness" is impossible to understand in terms of "life consciousness", wouldn't by definition there be absolutely no continuity between the two?

If there is continuity, it would have to be at least describable right now, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I guess I didn't help you out much.

The one thing I can say is that I am not sure we can be aware of ourselves without our memories.

If we passed on to another "afterlife conciousness" without our memories, I don't see how we could continue to be who we are today. As a matter of fact, if this were true, I don't even see the point of worrying about it.

However, this seems to be consistent with the belief that when we die, our bodies are simply carbon material that will blend into the earth.

So I suppose for those who believe in the afterlife or heaven or different planes of conciousness, one would need to retain their earthly memories to make than transformation relevent (to them). It would be pretty pointless meeting your dearly departed loved ones in heaven if you couldn't remember who they are.