View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Los Angeles: Things To Do And Places To Go

A lot of food, which is funny because of LA's reputation for bad food. Here are the food places that I like:

Sandwiches:
- Monsieur Marcel's in the farmer's market at the Grove. They have great European style sandwiches (think cured meats, good cheeses on a decent baguette). Plus their seating is in a somewhat quiet corner, which is much needed at the Grove.
- The Cafe at Surfas in Culver City. The same style sandwiches as MM. Really really good.

Sushi:
I really like the warm-rice school of sushi places in LA. Echigo on Santa Monica Blvd west of Sawtelle is my favorite. The fish quality is among the best I've had (right up there with Sasabune and SushiGo55), but it's cheaper. My wife and I always order a lot and a nice carafe of sake, but the bill is always around $100 for the both of us.

Other foodie places:
- The Lobster on SM Pier. I always take relatives here to show off the view. The food is shockingly good for such a touristy location. Also, the pier itself is fun to do at night on a date...completely dorky things like cotton candy and skeeball.

- Izakayas: A year ago these got a lot of press as the new fad in LA. They're Japanese pubs that serve small plates of a wide variety of food, usually with most of the menu changing by the day. Lots of beer, lots of great food, and a fun atmosphere. Musha on Wilshire @ 4th in Santa Monica is a great example. There are several others in Little Tokyo, Sawtelle area, and even Koreatown. These are perfect places for a date.

- Farmer's market in Santa Monica on Saturday. This is the best produce I've found in LA

- Pizza at Mozza. Can't wait to try Joe's.

LFS hit a lot of the good things to do on the Eastside. I'd like to second the Edison and SushiGo55 downtown. Also, Chinatown on Sunday mornings for dim sum is always fun.