View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Raising Limpers - Button

I haven't thought about this deeply, but I think you may have actually set up a situation where it's possible raising any two is profitable (assuming that in addition to the 60-percent fold to c-bet, we're not facing many preflop limp-reraises or flop 2/3-pot donkbets with air).

I mean, if, say, the blinds go away and both limpers call, we're going to take the pot with a c-bet ~ 36 percent of the time. That's about enough if you're betting 2/3 pot on your c-bet, and occasionally you'll make a hand in the meantime.

Those times you end up HU instead, the play basically seems automatically profitable.

But, of course, if you're constantly raising limpers from LP, people are going to try to adjust. So it's probably better to pick your spots and try not to be too obvious about what you're doing.

The table can begin to thwart this "raise the limpers" strategy by 3-betting lighter from the blinds and limp-reraising more from EP (and by tightening up, and by playing more chicken with you postflop), but if they aren't doing this much, then I guess you can get away with a lot.

One adjustment I think people do begin to make, though, is to open-raise in front of you instead of limping. I think they start to tighten up a bit too. Or they leave and are replaced by TAGs who are attracted by the stats your formerly good table was generating. So enjoy it while it lasts, I guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. And then close that table when it turns sour and replace it with another one you can temporarily push around.