View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Regulations are out - TREASURY PRESS RELEASE

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I don't mind what you are trying to do, but I think there is more productive ways of doing it. Ways that circle around, making the law more specific.

The best way to attack this, IMO, would be to make the law less specific, and easier on the bankers.

Easier on the banks= Easier on us.

For instance, show the absurdity of the law, by how the banks cannot properly enforce the law. Follow up with, because the law is so absurd and not enforcable, there should be less regulations for the banks to follow. (In place of a list)

This helps our cause, without hurting it through the use of a list.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I like the way you think.....

The problem is the law at least as I read it and the regs say that if a bank messes up and blocks a legal transaction there is no recourse.

Given that bankers are NOT the worlds riskiest gamblers unless their is a price to pay for them throwing a wet blanket over anything associated with gambling and saying "so what!" is the problem I have with this law and proposed rule.

There is no hook to make them pay for doing the gov't bidding.

THAT is why they don't have a problem with the reg!

IMPO as always,

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

Then we need to strongly be on record saying that this is not the banks problem, leave them alone. There should be no recourse on the banks, or any effect.

Now, what you say about the banks not being the world's strongest gamblers is true. They are likely to block anything they can, even with no regs. But the thing is, they don't block everything, as they don't actually care to. They do not know what Epassporte is, as they have no incentive to find out. As of right now, most banks are against online gambling. I cannot deposit with my Bank of America Visa, can you? But, I still gamble online everyday. Why? Because my bank doesn't actually care about online gambling.

But, if there are strict regulations, outlining what is bad, and exactly how my bank can block it, the banks are a lot likely to hunt harder, and make it tough for me to play online. More likely to block Epassporte, etc.

As of right now, the banks have no incentive to go after online gambling. It is unproductive for them, and they make no money at it. Obviously, they have have enough incentive to not openly support gambling, as that would be silly on their part. That is why I cannot deposit with my Visa. But I do not want to give them the incentive to hunt gambling down, and be forced to block Epassporte, as well.

This is why, we need to make it easier on the banks, with less regs.