Thread: Organ Donations
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Organ Donations

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I'll admit I didn't appreciate the relative costs vs. transplant or no transplant. Although after 45 minutes of searching I didn't find any actual evidence one way or the other on lowering/raising insurance premiums.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't. The only thing to consider is total cost to the insurance companies. A strong supply of paid organs decreases long-term costs for those companies.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll concede that point KotOD. Now I'd like you to concede that stopping being an organ donor is an illogical response to the issue. You could raise lots of awareness about this issue by walking up to a person in time square and shooting them in the face. You'd get lots of media attention and lots of time to express your views about necessary organ donation reform.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using cost analysis and market arguments has fallen on deaf ears. People (read: congressthings) immediately jump to the "poor people will murder and sell organs" and "rich people will horde the organs" types of arguments. Fine - if they won't think logically, maybe a severe shortage of organs will wake them up.

Though, with the government we have, it's more likely that they'll just force organ donations. Think of the children.

[ QUOTE ]
While I don't believe people that don't donate organs are guilty of murder, the effect is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome argument.