View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: I still don\'t get these low only hands

[ QUOTE ]
The easiest way to think of this is that there are 16 cards to complete the NL, and everything else is bad. How is running all those calculations easier, save for a math genius or human calculator?

[/ QUOTE ]Rando - I see your point. Good point. It's just that 990 is always the number of combinations for the turn and river in Omaha or Omaha-8, and thus it's a pertinent number after every flop.

And although sometimes you want to use 16/45 after the flop, other times you want to project for two more cards, and then you use 990 as the denominator.
[ QUOTE ]
in almost all cases thinking about smaller numbers is better

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe in most cases, but not here.

It's actually much easier to divide by 990 than by 45. (990 is only 1% away from a thousand. Just move the decimal place over one place, round up a tiny bit, and think in terms of per cents).

But I see your point.

I thought it was amusing that The Count used 12, somehow multiplied by 4, and got damned close to the right answer. I got a kick out of that.

And then I just decided to solve the problem rigorously for The Count (which I did) - and he got a kick out of it too.

It was just in fun.

But more seriously, I think with two low ranks on the flop and the nut (though not counterfeit proof) low draw, once you see the turn, unless you are counterfeited, you're also going to see the river - but then you're also ducking out if you get counterfeited on the river. So you want to know your chances for the next two cards, not just the next one card.

What I meant by "easiest" is that using combinations is easier than using permutations, just to get an idea of how often you'll end up with the nut low.

I like numbers.

Buzz