View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Ask me about working in a psychiatric hospital

[ QUOTE ]
How high of a chance is there of someone being detained there when it is not necessary? Would you say this happens often? I think I would act/look crazy if I was in a psych ward and people treated me like I was mentally ill when I really was not.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was an interesting study a few decades ago that contributed to many positive reforms in mental hospitals. Researchers got themselves put into mental hospitals by saying something like "I'm hearing voices." Then, once in the hospital they acted completely normal and said they just wanted to get out. Hospital staff evaluated everything these researchers did from the standpoint that they were crazy and it actually took extraordinary measures to get the researchers released.

In practice nowadays the only way you will end up in a hospital against your will is if someone with power and a vested interest in seeing you stuck in the hospital works to achieve that end. This most frequently happens in a parent/child situation, as Temp Hutter pointed out happened to him.