View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Does anyone else feel like this?

[ QUOTE ]
That no matter ... you're still the same player you were 6 months ago?

I was a winning $3.40 SnG player ... Then I moved down to .2/.5 and then .1/.2... and lost practically everything... in a very consistent manner. After all the studying and books read...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's less that you're the same or worse player than you were, and more that you're playing a completely different game. SnGs have a blind structure that advances quickly so you have to learn to find spots to push your shortstack into the middle and hope for everyone to fold or to hit your cards and double up.

Cash games play completely different. Very often you're playing much deeper than in SnGs, so if you're playing the same hands you play in SnGs, you're going to do fairly bad simply because you haven't adjusted to the fact that a 2nd best hand is MUCH more expensive with deep stacks. For example, A8o is a decent hand in late stages of a SnG because 1) you may get called by something like KJ and your Ace has showdown value or 2) you may get called by 44 and you're a coinflip... but you won't face those hands in the same way in cash games very often. 44 will typically fold PF or a missed flop (and if it hits the set on the flop you're in trouble), as opposed to getting it all-in PF and seeing 5 cards. In other words it won't pay you off as well, but will win more against you. Also, in raised pots, your A8o is usually dominated by someone with AJ+, so you're equity is much lower than you're used to when you make the PF decision to play.

In short, Cash games let players play selectively FOREVER since blinds don't increase and no one HAS to loose all of their money eventually. The result is that you're usually facing stronger cards than you're used to if you transition from SnGs.