View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Driving the Ball 280 to 300.....Really???

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still fairly new at this golf game and I'm a little confused about a few things. First of all when people say they drive the ball 300 yards are they talking about carrying 300? That seems like a very different thing to me. Second of all when they calculate pros average driving distance how do they calculate this? It seems to me that a large number of pros use something other than a driver on many holes, are those holes still factored in? I would imagine a much larger number of pros could average 300 than actually do, but strategic decisions make them choose otherwise.

(I would think that prolly less than 1% of your amateur golfers average 300 yd drives, but its kinda fun to listen to people who think they do)

[/ QUOTE ]

Each week the tour picks two holes at that course where they think most of the field will be using drivers. They do not adjust if a player hits a 3 wood instead.
They play so many rounds though that over the course of a season a player's true average will show.

And when people talk about hitting a certain distance with their driver, for the most part, they're talking about with roll.

Being able to carry the ball 300 yards is absolutely incredible. The hang time is just awesome.

As for people/posters lying about how far they carry it, I guess I'm in the "who cares?" camp.

I'd put a good chunk of money against anyone in this thread being able to carry it 300 and feel solid about my bet, fwiw. Not calling anyone out specifically, but my odds are great vs. ~16 random internet golf dudes.