View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: I still don\'t get these low only hands

[ QUOTE ]
The easiest way to figure this is to think in combinations rather than permutations.
(step 1) to know that after the flop, there are always 990 possible turn/river combinations. That's from C(45,2) = 45*44/2 = 990. etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have got to be kidding me. The easiest way to think of this is that there are 16 cards to complete the NL, and everything else is bad. How is running all those calculations easier, save for a math genius or human calculator? Most people are averse to math, even some poker players, and in almost all cases thinking about smaller numbers is better... i.e. the LCD (Lowest Common Denominator).

I don't think there is a wrong play between calling, raising or anything but folding this flop, and later streets as well, although as long as it's 4 ways why not at least call everything when the NL comes in and isn't later counterfeited? Given that it's limit, when you're splitting low you are even, when you're counterfeited you are not losing a huge pot, and when you scoop you MAY be more than making up for the losses of the other permutations. If we were infinitely deep in PL or NL, a flop fold would be wise, and perhaps even on the turn, because then the danger of counterfeiting is extreme. But in Limit, four way, we have to take off our tin hats.