View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Simple TT preflop question.

[ QUOTE ]
wooly:

stop wasting everyone's time. this is an easy raise. after the flop, you get to play 'poker'. which is a lot better than ultra-nitty set mining with the button and the 5th best pair in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a raise is obvious, but the amount of the raise is not obvious.

Why $75?

Why not $100 or $25?

What was his plan when he made the preflop raise, other than "I have the best hand, so I'll raise more than 10% of the effective stacks so that I'm pretty much pot-committed after any continuation bet..."

I think the raise was needlessly large. Despite his great position, live players love to limp/call hands like AQs and even A-rag and K-rag suited, then take top-pair and 2-pair too far post flop. So, in a multi-way, huge pot, after putting in over 10% of his stack, is he going to check behind on any flop with a J/Q/K/A on it? Or c-b for about 1/3 to 1/2 his stack? And then what? Fold to any resistance?

So, what was his target SPR and why? If he planned to play TT for value as a single pair, then getting a very low-SPR is good. So, if that was his plan, then maybe a big raise to $75 with a plan to get all in on most flops and/or turns was good.

But in a game where some of the live players might play top-pair weak kicker OOP like is was the nuts, maybe an SPR of 6-10 might have been better where he can win an uncontested pot on a cb that isn't pot-committing, but still have excellent implied odds to play for some guy's stack when/if he hits a set. That means a pot of $60-$100 might be better than the pot that he ended up building in the OP.

So why not raise to $20 expecting 5-players to the flop for a pot of ~100 and tentative plan to cb most safe flops (and when you hit a set) for $75 planning to fold to resistance with overcards on board, go for the felt with a set, but maybe check behind on many unsafe or suspicious flops.

I think raising less preflop to give himself more room post-flop for more than only 2 pot sized bets of play would have been better than raising to $75.

Raising to somewhere between $20 and $40 would have been much better than $75. He would still build a nice pot, still take it down on many cb's, but he'd have much more room to avoid being pot-committed with just one bet post-flop.

As played, bet-call-an-all-in is best. If he bets and gets called, then he should push any river if checked to and call any river if bet into. At that point, he's pretty much pot-stuck, and TT will be ahead often enough to get all in on just about any turn.