View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Popular (book, movie, etc) that you simply don\'t like.

As for reality TV, that's fine if you don't like it, but if you're looking down your nose at it because you think you're better than the entire genre, I think you're missing out on some good stuff.

The Amazing Race continues to be a compelling show even after all these seasons. There is a bit of an eyeroll at the constant "bunching", but some of these teams are so much better than others that they would be days ahead of some of the others and the logistics of getting people and equipment to certain places for each challenge dictates that they all be fairly close together. Plus if they didn't have the bunching there would almost never be a close finish. This show has a great mix of teams that you really like and teams that you really hate. Good casting.

That said, my two favorite "reality" shows ever were two that make fun of the genre. My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss unfortunately didn't even make it through the season, although the rest of the episodes were later released online. It had the misfortune of being scheduled opposite one or two blockbuster shows so the ratings were terrible. It featured a fake CEO getting contestants to complete ridiculous tasks and being a jerk, like referring to the women as "broads" just to test their reaction.

The best though was probably Joe Schmo II, an incredibly hilarious show that also suffered from weak ratings. It also had a really awesome ending. It was a cast of fake, obnoxious contestants built around two real ones, was wonderfully written, and managed to actually have a touching resolution.