View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Grilling Challenge

BBQ Chicken

Cut up a chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with rub. (I don't remember what I put in the rub. I make large quantities and put it in a shaker. If I were to guess it probably has kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, sometimes I put a bit of allspice/cinnamon in there sometimes a touch of oregano. Anyway, add the rub and let sit until the coals are ready. (You could rub and put in a large plastic bag press the air out and refrigerate for a few hours for the chicken to absorb more of the flavors, but I never think to do this ahead. Mostly because I cook by poking my head in the fridge around dinner time and deciding what I'm going to do then.)

I cooked the chicken directly over the coals, then I coated the chicken in sauce both sides in turn while they are over direct heat. I like to get the sugars in the sauce to do that flavorful deliciousness that happens when its exposed to the flame. I moved the chicken off the coals and gave it a bit more time.

Sauce was just on the fly--I tossed a bunch of jalapeno and hungarian wax peppers from the garden with a small chopped onion and sauteed with a little butter until approaching tender. Then, I added granny smith apples. I'm experimenting with apples since El Sapo turned me onto it.
I added organic tomato paste and bit of ketchup, I added some red wine vinegar, but then wanted more sweetness and also added some white balsalmic vinegar (it's lighted than typical balsalmic, I think, but has the characteristic sweetness), I accidentally added too much vinegar and added some apple juice to counter the acidity with some additional sweetness. To this I added cumin and a little chili pepper, generous salt and fresh black pepper. Actually, I thought this was going to be a little average. I thought the sauce was a little confused in its conception and still had a bit too much acidity. It worked amazingly well though. I was really pleased. It absorbed into the chicken and gave it great flavor. The sugars really came through and did their little miracle. Yummy.

I know edamame isn't the most obvious of sides, but it was what was in the fridge. It was well seasoned and its salty beaniness was actually good with the chicken. There were also cucumbers and a variety of cherry tomatoes from the garden.