View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Re: brag: custom tailored suit

Tell them you want it to be fully canvassed / a fully floating canvass. This has to do with the construction of the jacket. Specify no fusing (fusing is when they use glue to attach the inner chest piece). This makes for a way higher quality garment.

2 button, single breasted. Resist the urge to get a bunch of buttons. Stick with a notch lapel - peak lapels look cool, but can look awful depending on the tailor's talent level. Flat front pants. Make sure you get at least 3 fittings... most important part of a suit is the shoulders. The shoulders HAVE to fit.

BTW, I would not go for cashmere - I'd probably get a tropical weight wool (guessing Thailand doesn't get too cold?). Steer clear of the Super 150's and up - no durability. Cashmere is not an incredibly durable fabric either, and the average tailor is not going to do a great job with it. The more substantial fabric, the easier it is to work with.

Hmm. I'll post some more things when I think of them. Oh, and as for buying the suit and pants separately, don't bother. You're going to have to buy all the fabric up front anyway. See if the tailor has fabric books so you can order a high quality fabric. This should be the most expensive part of a suit in Asia (most likely). Holland & Sherry makes great fabrics.