View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Taj USPC $2K - Baby Flush in Level One

We're maybe 15 minutes into the tournament, and I don't think I've played a hand yet. I still have mt starting stack of 8000 intact, and blinds are at 25/50 for 40 more minutes. My table has seen a fair number of multiway pots so far, but no big hands have went down.

Reads:

No strong reads on UTG. He had told me about a $200 tournament he'd won the night before, but from chatting with him for a few minutes, he doesn't strike me as the strongest player in the world. Big muscular guy in his late 30's.

MP seems donkish from my first impression. Already has played a handful of pots, usually calling a few times, then folding at some point in the hand.

LP is an older guy who seems to know everyone in the room. He's been active early, raising and taking down a number of pots. His bet sizing seems good. He's very chatty, and he's wearing a WSOP bracelet. When I got home, I figured out this was Mike Sica, but I didn't know that at the time (and it wouldn't have meant anything to me anyway.)

I shouldn't have left much of an impression on anyone so far. Quiet, and haven't played a pot yet.

The hand:

UTG opens for 250, which is the largest open from anyone at the table so far. His only other open was for 150. MP calls as usual, and Mike calls from two off the button. I close the action by tossing in 200 more chips from the big blind with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. 825 in the pot.

The flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Not perfect, but certainly not bad. I check to see what develops, and UTG fires out 500. Call, call, and I close the action again by calling. This is already the biggest pot we've had at the table with the 2825 in there.

Turn brings the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Nice. I check again, because the flop action frightened me a bit. Granted it's a drawy board, but someone could easily have me beat. I do have those two straight flush outs in my back pocket though. UTG leads again for 500 (lol), MP calls, and Mike raises to 1600.

So there's 5425 in the pot, four players still in the hand, and I'm facing a bet of 1600. I have ~7250 in my stack. Action's on me. So now what?