View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Come and See

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad someone put up a trailer for the most harrowing film of all time, "Come and See" (Russian, 1985). It's kind of like Schindler's List meets Apocalypse Now in Russia. The trailer is here (and wait for the final image which is just brutal):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMKwM...ed&search=

The scene with the girl and boy running and the girl looking back at the village is the most devastating thing I ever saw on film. This picture explains things better than I can:

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of this film before...is it worth seeking out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw this.

Wow. What a triumphant, technically brilliant, devastating motion picture. The whole film is like one long nightmare you can't wake up from, with no traditional narrative - just the chaos of war as seen through the eyes of a teenaged boy.

There were sequences in this film that were so good I was astonished at the level of film making. Most of the film is shot with a Steadicam and in long, incredibly choreographed takes that must have taken weeks to get right. But it all feels real, as if the camera is capturing events as they happen.

To me, this is the beauty of watching foreign films: to realize there are other ways to make movies, not just the Hollywood model.

Fantastic film and one I'll be thinking about for a long time.

Thanks for recommending this!

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night also saw this based on John's recommendation. This one might be too intense and horrific for something like the DVD Club but more people here in the US need to see this sort of movie.

A couple background links to the history:

Belarus During WW 2

Occupation by Nazi Germany

These links are just Wikis; if anyone has better ones focusing on the sort of thing that is show in the movie please post.

~ Rick