View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: I sweep, I sweep

Is distance really something you need at this point? I guess if you have a major swing issue that is keeping you down, that's something worth changing, but if you are hitting it consistently with smooth, easy swing, and decent ball flight, I don't really think distance should matter too much. One of my biggest score improvements came after I stopped forcing myself to use a club at a certain distance where I thought I SHOULD use it, and started using the club that I ACTUALLY hit that distance. Example (since that was a bit messy), if I were around 145-150 I used to always hit a 7-iron, even if I ended up short or barely there 75% of the time. Part of this was ego. Now, from that range I'll hit a 6-iron with a nice, easy swing, and hit the green considerably more often. I've found that if I club up, I'm over the green WAY less than the amount of times I would have been short if I had stayed with the club I "should" hit.

With me it was an ego thing. I guess what I'm saying is, before you screw up your swing trying to get distance, ask why you need more, if you need more, and if it's worth it.