View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Never stone cold bluff

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you never stone cold bluffed (flop play), what is the best that poker player can expect to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say pretty good. I don't think it's a great idea to have a plan to bluff all the way through a hand. When you assess the situation as a good time to bluff, then you bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems about right, but many players bluff when it is not profitable because they don't stop to think whether or not their story is reasonable. For example, many beginners will bluff the turn or river trying to tell the other player they have aces. But Preflop they limped, and then they checked behind on the flop. A good player may realize that if your the sort of player that raises with AA PF, then your story is nothing more than a bluff, and you'll lose.

Also, many beginners are proud of themselves for bluffing and taking down a pot, when in reality they had the winning hand. "Bluffing" with AK on a 972 flop probably just a value bet.

To relate this to the post, I think that a player could be a winning player never making a stone-cold bluff, but that requires pretty good play. If the player is of the quality to win without it, then he/she is of the quality that can pick up on good bluffing ops, and so is doing his(her)self a disservice by never bluffing.