View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Changing My Mind About Iran - And More On The USA

Good post, I agree with all of it. But I would like to learn a little about part of what you were saying, probably the most important part.

[ QUOTE ]
Realize that the Welfare Clause doesn't mean government can do anything at all that might help the general welfare, but rather that anything it does must help the general welfare. It is a qualifying clause not a granting clause.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I understand, you are saying that the government can do what it is allowed to do by the Constitution, as long as it is in aid of the general welfare of the population. It cannot do something that is not allowed by the Constitution, just because it is in aid of the general welfare of the population.

Essentially, the government can only do what is provided for in the constitution; the basic defining principle of the constitution, it is a document that says what CAN be done, not what can't be done.

So what is currently being done for the general welfare of the population that is not provided for in the constitution?

Edit: Also, just to clarify, is the "Welfare Clause" Article I section 8?
"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States"

?