View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Ask me anything about Japan/Japanese

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although I'm sure few still think this way, and a lot thought this way long time ago, but most of the people these days don't think that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding? Just look at how Japanese people think of Okinawans. And they're part of their own country!

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying Japanese people who don't live in Okinawa sort of look down on Okinawans? If that's the case, you're wrong.

In your opinion, how do Japanese people think of Okinawans?

[/ QUOTE ]
That they're uncivilized and stupid and should be a part of China or at least not Japan

[/ QUOTE ]
This is definitely not true. A lot of people even move to Okinawa from other part of Japan. Japanese people usually think of Okinawa as an island with beautiful ocean and a little bit different (not inferior or anything) culture. I was in Okinawa last spring, and I had a great time. Where did you get that idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
From when I took an Okinawan cultural history course while living there, and talking with a bunch of mainlanders.

They might think it's a beautiful island, but that doesn't mean they consider Okinawans to be a part of their culture. They don't, and they definitely look down on Okinawans quite a bit.

But honestly, I'm not going to get any deeper into this with you. I'm glad that you're excited about Japan, but half of the people in this thread know more about it than you.