View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Ask me anything about Japan/Japanese

[ QUOTE ]
Soh - would you say you have a good feel for the general sentiments of the Japanese towards other Asian cultures? Because my understanding was that the Japanese were extremely proud and felt superior to other Azns...

Take for example the following: best-selling comics "Hating the Korean Wave" and "Introduction to China"

From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
TOKYO, Nov. 14 - A young Japanese woman in the comic book "Hating the Korean Wave" exclaims, "It's not an exaggeration to say that Japan built the South Korea of today!" In another passage the book states that "there is nothing at all in Korean culture to be proud of."

In another comic book, "Introduction to China," which portrays the Chinese as a depraved people obsessed with cannibalism, a woman of Japanese origin says: "Take the China of today, its principles, thought, literature, art, science, institutions. There's nothing attractive."

The two comic books, portraying Chinese and Koreans as base peoples and advocating confrontation with them, have become runaway best sellers in Japan in the last four months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not putting this forth as proof-positive that the Japanese are racist, but it's certainly some corroborating evidence, imo...

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's because I'm Japanese, but when I was in Japan, I never felt like people were racist towards other Asians.