View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Ask me about the CFA program

[ QUOTE ]
how helpful is having passed level I in finding a good job out of school? what about level II?

[/ QUOTE ]
As I imagine you'll find with pretty much any certification relevant to the job you seek, the further you progress in the CFA program, the easier it will be to find a job and command a larger salary. But as I said earlier:

[ QUOTE ]
An MBA is respected in nearly every field, but a CFA charter is often not as highly regarded outside the investment profession.

[/ QUOTE ]
The CFA program isn't something to undertake lightly. I'd only consider it if you're really very certain about your career path. I don't think that many people coming out of college can be that confident. How many times does the average person change careers in a lifetime?

I don't want it to sound as if I'm talking anybody out of the program. Far from it. I learned a lot in the program, and without my candidacy I would never have landed my current position. It was absolutely the right move for me, but it's not the sort of process I'd enter into without giving it a lot of thought beforehand.

One last thing to consider: program enrollment + exam registration (which includes books as of 2008) + prep course (optional, I went without) + practice exams (optional, I did take them) = sometimes it's best to let your employer pay. $1,000 at least for your first exam.