View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: This forum needs a makeover

"This is kinda the opposite of what you said earlier. No one wakes up one day and says, "Hey, I've never done this b4, but i'm turning pro as a sports bettor/'capper!"

Over time, one learns how to find solid value, how to line shop [#1 skill], how to read the public's view, how to make money props/futures [Bodog helps!], adjusting for new info/line moves, using the Pinny side to find soft books/lines, perhaps specific ideas like fading DrBob line moves or Wong Teasers, etc"

You're absolutely correct, no one wakes up and decides to become a professional sports bettor, which is precisely my point. People wake up and say "hey, I'm looking to school my office in the pool this year, I'll check out the 2p2 sports betting forum to get some tips."

The reality is, the posts here asking for tips are replied to with regurgitated sb forumisms that are of little value to a new poster. I'm not talking about explicitly retarded things like parlays and non wong teaser threads, I'm talking about legitimate attempts at either asking for information, or providing ones thoughts on a game. My point was that in the forums current state, to be able to even differentiate betweent he good and bad advice, one would need to be a pro sports bettor, which would kinda defeat the purpose of offering advice to non pros.

Poker is very different from sports betting, in that poker surely allows for a larger degree of ambiguity in "backup facts", but sports betting should offer much less of this ambiguity. I've read threads here where a guy overvalues home team advantage, or feels missing a key player is going to turn the tide of a game, only to be shot down with "Thats the most retarded thing I've ever read" types of replies, with no "why" behind them. The biggest difference between this forum and the poker forums in that regard, is that the poker forums seem to be much easier to tell who is full of crap when reading these replies, but this forum seems to make it exceptionally hard. For instance, in the last month I've seen you referred to aa a person who lies about their picks, but you're defending legitimate picks in your reply. I have no idea whether you;re full of [censored] or not.

"You don't like the forum and that's fine. You didn't add much this month that I saw, either. [and I sincerely apologize in advance if you did add a lot in the UFC threads, but it seems you spend most of your time in BBV4Lyfe.]"

Where I post and where I read are very different. This is my second post in this forum, and I've read it daily for the last month, and sporadically before then. I don't think I've ever said I didn't "like" the forum, as if I simply didn't like it, I wouldn't even bother to comment in a thread that seems to be looking for a way to improve it.

"If you post random links in OOT, they will move/lock your thread. If you post LL HE in PLO, similarly, then they'll ban you. There is actually far *less* criteria here, we're just trying to get organized rather than have 9 Dallas v Chicago threads. Perhaps you think 9 threads on each game would be better, I d/k."

The reasoning behind the rules in OOT and other forums is due to sheer volume of posts. This forum has very few posts in relation to those mentioned. Focusing on the quality and content of the existing posts would go a long way to encouraging more people to posts and read the forum. Do you think its coincidence that every other day there is a "does anyone know of a good sports betting forum" post in this very forum? I'll tell you a secret, its not because theres 5 NFL threads this week, its because the content of all 5 threads is asstastic. Simply organizing 5 trash cans full of garbage into a dumpster full of garbage only hides the sight, not the smell.

This forum could easily turn into a great resource for people looking to get into sports betting, and for sharp sports bettors to provide info, even if limited, to those looking to get involved. All it takes are the few good posters to step it up a bit and offer something constructive in their daily replies.