View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Finance vs Accounting degree

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about other schools, but the recruiters at University of Illinois weren't very eager to recruit someone with just an undergrad finance degree - to me it almost seemed like a pre-law or pre-med major... wth do you do with it if you don't go further?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being serious here, because this is pretty ridiculous?

[/ QUOTE ]

I graduated from U of I with "just" a finance degree. It's true that at that particular school, you have more opportunities with an Accy degree, but this is a special case, imo.

U of I has the best Accounting program in the country and you can pretty much get a job anywhere in the field if you have a decent GPA. As far as finance goes, it's one of the best schools in the midwest, but it isn't competing seriously with ivy league schools for top finance jobs.

I'm not sure if you are interested in banking but I know quite a few Finance grads from U of I that have great banking jobs and a few that have great trading opportunities as well. Finance definitely seems like the "riskier" route, only because with Accounting you pretty much know what you are going to get when you graduate, where as there is huge upside in Finance but also more dead end career paths.

Personally, I couldn't stand the accounting classes I took. I just wasn't interested in it at all and I don't think I could have really applied myself in that major, at least at the entry level classes that were so boring to me. Do what you love, you will be happy years down the road.

Best,
tc