View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a FIFA-certified soccer referee

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what's the most misunderstood soccer rule?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. The one that I probably see missed most by lower-level and beginning referees is the part of the offsides rule where it states that it is not on offense in itself to BE in an offside position. You would be surprised how often I have seen players in local high school and youth matches whistled for offsides when they are IN an offside position, but they are not interfering with play, an opponent, or gaining any advantage by being in that position. For some reason, a lot of referees don't grasp the meaning of that rule and don't apply it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thread. The offside rule was only changed in the last few years to allow the "not interfering with play" interpretation. Personally I preferred the old rule where offside means offside, less confusion. Referees in the EPL regularly fail to apply the rule correctly.

I remember a football commentator saying "if he's not interfering with play what's he doing on the pitch?" which I think sums it up nicely [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]