View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: When to call min-raises from the blinds?

Obviously, there will be a lot of differing opinions on this subject and there are such a wide variety of possibilities that a general answer probably won't do much good, but I'll try anyway.

I would say, first, that there's a big difference between having one min-raise in front of you and having more than one. You should be extremely cautious entering a multi-way pot like that. If you're considering it, then you should raise and try to drive some people out of that pot.

Even if you have only one min-raise in front of you, you should be very cautious since you're out of position after the flop.

Frankly, this is a situation I often toy with. For instance, you're in the big blind with 4 min-raises in front of you. If you raise 4BB how many times will the 4 min-raisers fold? 5BB? Etc.

The possibilities are endless. However, I would suggest that if you think about that situation more as an information gathering exercise, it might pay more dividends. It also might benefit you down the road as the blinds increase. In other words, if you raise a few times, then perhaps players are more cautious about trying to steal your blinds later on. In fact, you might be able to create that perception at a fairly cheap price by only doubling the bet. If the people in front of you know that everytime you're in the BB, you're apt to double the bet, they stop limping.

My feeling about it in general is that limping in tends to get me in trouble because when I hit part of the flop and bet, I'm out of position, and often find myself unable to get away from the hand.