View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a FIFA-certified soccer referee

[ QUOTE ]
What's the pay like (if you don't mind answering)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very dependent on what level it is you're working. When I first started doing indoor league games when I started out, it was $15-20 a match. High school is more along the lines of $50-60 a match, but since you can frequently work two matches in one day that can be doubled if you want to put in the time. In the NCAA, it depends whether I'm the main referee or an assistant, the guy in the middle generally gets in the neighborhood of $300 and the assistants pull in about $175-200. There's no standardized amount, it really depends on the school since the officials are paid by the home school. Colgate, Syracuse and SUNY-Cortland tend to pay better than most schools I work (Cornell apparently pays very well but I can't referee their matches), and Hartwick, SUNY-Binghamton and LeMoyne are a little stingier. One of the two games I refereed in the A-League I made $575, which is the most I've ever made for one game. Although I did get one $2000 paycheck for the entire 2005 Dallas Cup.

In short, it's nothing you're gonna retire on. Even Level 1 referees have other jobs.