View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Italy trip report (long, with pics)

Great TR. My wife and I went 12 years ago, before we had kids. In fact our daughter may have been conveived there! Loved Siena, Florence, everything. Looking forward to hearing about the Cinque Terra. Hope it isn't over run.

The key to eating in Italy. Get away from the tourists spots and find a small spot packed with locals. Go in and enjoy. Always get the house wine.

I broke the house wine rule once. The first week we spent in Orvieto, a smallish hill town, where my wife had a conference for work. Orvieto is famous for it's white wine. I was having lunch and wanted red wine. The waiter was explaning something to me but I didn't understand. Turns out he was telling me I couldn't get a glass of red, only a bottle. A table of local young guys were amused by this scene and I could tell from my limited Italian that I was the butt of their jokes. To save my honor I drank about 2/3 of the bottle with my lunch! I corked the rest and hit the streets. When my wife caught up with me later that afternoon I was in a very good mood.