View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Stud/8 capping 6th with stragglers

I have a question about a play I saw tonight in a hand that I was in.

V1 is solid, and it is his play that I question.
V2 is probably a pro but who is playing outside of his expertise in this split pot game.

20/40 Stud/8, 8 players

Bringin (xx) 2 -- folds
2 folds
V2 (xx) A -- completes-- calls
folds
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -- raises
folds
V1 (xx) 2 -- calls

4th:
V2 (xx) AJ, 2 clubs -- bets -- calls
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -- raises
V1 (xx) 29 -- calls

5th:
V2 (xx) AJK, 2 clubs -- bets -- calls
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] -- raises
V1 (xx) 297 -- calls

6th:
V2 (xx) AJK8, 3 clubs -- checks -- calls -- folds
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-- bets -- 3-bets
V1 (xx) 2979 -- raises -- caps

7th:
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4x) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-- calls
V1 (xx) 2979 (x) -- bets and shows full house, 9s over 2s, that he made on 6th. V1 had (29)29 on 4th. He said that he called 3rd just for kicks & the hand just got better for him. (My opinion of V1 fluctuated through the session. I ended up respecting his game.)

As V2 contemplated calling 2 bets on 6th, he paused and said, "why is he trying to drive me out of this pot?" I think it was a good question.

It seems to me that by capping V1 drove a live player out of the pot. Can anyone explain to me his line? What might V1 have been afraid of? Do you see this as a misplay?