Old 09-28-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Stud/8 playing high cards

Do any of you like any of this?

20/40 Stud/8, 8 players
V1 is solid, not much info yet.
V2 is really bad.

Bringin (xx) 4 -- folds
folds
Hero (Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] calls ($5) -- calls
folds
Villain #1 (xx) 6 -- calls ($5) -- calls
2 folds
Villain #2 (xx) J -- completes

4th:
Hero (Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] -- calls
V1 (xx) 64 --folds
V2 (xx) JK -- bets

5th:
Hero (Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] -- folds
V2 (xx) JKA -- bets

This weird hand turned into a stud high hand when V1 folded. His fold was strange to me.

I had a hard time committing to calling down V2 when the big bets came. A king and at least one heart were out. (I need to get better at remembering all of the upcards.) Calling $40 into a pot of $160 doesn't seem like bad odds in retrospect, and it was highly unlikely that I was drawing dead. Besides not playing this hand in the first place (I could try to argue that this is one of the few times that you could play a high 3- straight flush in Stud/8), do you think I should have played this out?

Should I be playing this 3-staight flush at all? I thought I could get away with limping, and then I called the completion based upon who was left in the pot. I know that the "book" basically says never to play it, but it seemed like a good spot to try it, and I did turn it over when I folded in an effort to advertise a bit.

I'm thinking that V1 made a bad fold. He either had one pair or two and didn't want to try to draw to a low or a better high. It seems to me that he had decent odds considering that there were two players going for high.

In retrospect, I'm thinking that I should have checkraised V2 instead of folding. She was really weak, but OTOH might have called me down anyway.

Input?