View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Los Angeles: Things To Do And Places To Go

This thread is too Westside heavy. IMO if you ignore the eastside and downtown you're missing out on much of what keeps LA from being completely unlivable.

Yuca's - On Hillhurst in Los Feliz. Tiny authentic Mexican stand that won a James Beard award last year. Cochinita Pibil (Yucatan style pork) is their specialty, but everything is good. I get a chile verde burrito with no beans.

Sushi Go 55 - Sushi bar on the top level of an enclosed mall in Little Tokyo downtown. My favorite sushi place in LA (thanks 2+2!). Very straightforward, large, fresh, cuts of fish. Go early and wander around the mall, there's a crazy Japanese arcade and some other cool stores.

The Edison Bar - HUGE bar in the basement of a loft building downtown where a power plant was once located. Extremely dramatic space, would be a good place for a date.

Nick & Stef's - High-end steak place in the Wells Fargo Center downtown. My favorite steak in LA, you order your meat a la carte and add on a bunch of sides. Not cheap, ldo.

Disney Hall - Gehry-designed concert hall that's home to the LA Philharmonic but also has concerts from visiting musicians. Truly special place. Patina Restaurant is on-site and amazing imo. Definitely worth visiting.

Some restaurants I love that aren't eastside: Grace Restaurant on Beverly near La Brea, Melisse in Santa Monica, Pastis on Beverly near Crescent Heights (just had an incredible meal there), Jar on Beverly near the Beverly Center.