View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Batting The Pitcher 8th

[ QUOTE ]
I dont even nessasarily mean that he'll be converted but see no reason he should bat ninth if he continues to hit.
I could see them letting him dh in an al park. I just dont see the point in lumping a good hitter who happens to be a pitcher in a group with the typical terrible hitting pitchers. For example it used to drive me crazy when Colorado would pinch hit for Mike Hamton (or have him sac bunt with a man on 1st and one out) with some 230 light hitting worthless player who was a worse hitter than Hampton (usually this was in the 4th inning since hampton got rocked so often)

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, this is fine. Owings was a studly hitter in college, and takes great pride in keeping up with his skills. Some pitchers don't give a [censored] and just practice bunting. Owings could be used in all pinch hitting / platoon situations or DH opportunities during interleague play. Making him a two-way star is probably a good way to get him injured, and a league average starter is worth a lot more than a league average corner outfielder.