View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 10:01 PM

Default should I tell my boss about my criminal record

I recently started a new job in accounting as a financial analyst with a publicly traded company which I love. It's the best job Ive ever had. I am working for this company through an employment agency. My boss (the controller) is extremely happy with my work and has stated an intention to hire me permanently.

As I stated when I was hired through and agency and when I applied through them I filled out an application which included criminal history which I answered honestly. I was arrested and plead guilty to lying to a police officer a misdemeanor.

at this time the person working my file was supposed to get a background check and run it through there legal department which he forgot to do. However he recently discovered his mistake and this is being done now, he stated there is a chance I will no longer be able to work through them. I would zero notice if this conclusion is reached.

Like I said my boss loves the work I am doing. I am thinking about going to him now, and explaining the situation, and that I have not been trying to hide anything, and that I love my job. My thinking is, it will be a lot better for him to hear it from me directly, then to find out from the agency that I will no longer be coming in.

The guy at the agency said I should wait to see what happens, and not go to him first but I believe they may be trying to cover their own asses. He said he doesn't want me to shoot myself in the foot by coming forward now.

My question is do you think I should go to my boss tomorrow morning and explain the situation to him now, that I may be pulled off the job by the agency but that I enjoy working there and want to continue to do so if at all possible.

note: there is zero chance of him not finding out long term and they to will do a background check upon hiring permanently.

additionally, has anyone worked with something similar> if so how bad is my record?