View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: 2007 SEC Football Thread

[ QUOTE ]
The main reason ESPN gives the SEC the screwjob treatment as far as Gameday visists are concerned is that the premier SEC game is usually broadcast on CBS, and Gameday is 95% about hyping whatever game is on ESPN or ABC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. But that's a relatively recent development, a result of the total integration of ABC sports with ESPN. Before the 2006 season, Gameday went wherever the biggest game happened to be that week, regardless of who was covering it. Last year, they started off by going to wherever ABC primetime coverage would be (so Kirk could do both Gameday and analysis on the primetime game), which quickly turned into a joke when they showed up for the Nebraska/Iowa State game.

Now they just make Kirk fly out as soon as gameday is over, but they still pick ESPN/ABC games over games that aren't shown "in-network".

[ QUOTE ]
Even if UK and LSU are undefeated, the game will be picked up by CBS and GameDay will go to Rose Bowl to hype up USC vs. Opponent on ABC

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I'd say gameday has jumped the shark, but I think that actually happened when then went to 90 minutes (was that like 4 years ago now?). Now they're at 120 minutes, with 85% of that either stupid Lee Corso commercials or "Human Interest" stories like "Colt McCoy saved my dogs life!" Who cares?