View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: $40/$80 free showdown raise spot?

[ QUOTE ]
Free showdown raises are usually good when(in rough order of importance):

1. You can safely fold to a 3-bet.
2. You can get villain to fold a better hand.
3. You are drawing to few outs against the hands in villain's range you are behind.
4. Villain's range includes hands that you are still ahead of which have enough outs that are worth charging.
5. The pot is large.
6. Lots of rivers are "scare cards" for your hand.
7. Villain is unlikely to donk the river if he makes his hand.

This situation meets some of these conditions (#3, 4, 5, 6) so I think this is a decent spot to raise for a free showdown. That said, I feel like this turn card could give villain a lot of monster-esque draws that he may be willing to 3-bet semibluff or a pair of T's to go along with his draw that he will call down. Given what others have said about James, I think this may not be the opponent to try this against.

Brian, what was your plan on the flop? Are you calling down most turn/river combos? Folding aces and 3rd diamonds? Taking a WA/WB line? You weren't planning to raise for a free showdown on most blanks were you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatz up kid. Nice post. I was planning to fold to any ace or any 3rd diamond and raising any blank for free showdown. As I said before, I don't really know James Van Alstyne that much, but he probably didn't really pay attention to my table talk that much but probably noticed that I was playing relatively tight. I think the likelihood of him taking a shot at me here with a worse hand or even a big draw was very low.