Thread: Speech play
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Speech play

[ QUOTE ]
I play live a lot, and was wondering how to interpret a lot of the common forms of speech play that occur. In particular, these statements:

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
1) "Do you want me to call?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally this indicates they have a weak hand.
My standard answer is: "It depends what you've got."

[ QUOTE ]
2) "Will you show me if I fold?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally this indicates they have a weak hand.
I generally say, "sure." - regardless of the strength of my hand. But not always. If I'm pretty sure the player will fold if I say yes, and call if I say no, or don't say anything, I'll answer the way that will get the result I want.

[ QUOTE ]
3) "Let's gamble"

[/ QUOTE ]

Players can say this for a lot of reasons. Some say it when they raise with aces, some when they call with 72 or with a draw. Some say it when they sit down at the table, sometimes to play like a maniac, sometimes to play tight. Etc, etc, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
4) "You don't have to call"

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on the game and the player. In easy low limit games, sometimes it means they have the nuts, and they are trying to be nice. Sometimes they have a weak hand and don't want a call.

[ QUOTE ]
For the most part I think people are looking at the way in which people respond to these questions (rather than whether they say yes or no). Any ideas welcomed about what these common statements mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re 1: I agree that most people are looking at the way in which people respond to this question (rather than whether they say yes or no.)

Re 2: For this one, I think it is often mainly just plain old curiousity about what the bettor has. Though they will consider how the question is answered in deciding whether to fold, call or raise. Note: this is based on low limit game experience.

Re 3: Not to see how people react, but either a real or false indication that they play loose.

Re 4: Since this is said after a bet or raise, it is generally said to influence the other player(s) actions, not to get a read on them.

All this is based on my experience in low limit live games.