View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Decisions to join or not join the military

[ QUOTE ]
Ironic to me because I joined the Air Force one year ago today. Basically, I joined because I felt like I wouldn't do very well in college at the time, and I really didn't have any idea what else to do. I felt that it would give me valuable experience for living on my own. I think it's been just fine so far. I've gotten some good training that probably would have been pretty expensive in the civilian world. I work with computer network devices (basically, Cisco stuff), so it's mildly useful outside of the military.

I guess everyone really has to decide themselves whether they want to join or not. There are quite a few drawbacks (deploying to the Middle East for example), but there are also a lot of misconceptions about the military. I feel it was good for me, up to this point. Hopefully it continues to be so.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between deciding whether or not you should walk into a recruiting office and sign their usual form with the understanding that there is a high likelihood of being shipped into a warzone vs signing up to work as a [censored] network admin. No offence but from the thread I gathered that the question was more of "would you sign up as a grunt", not would you apply with the knowledge that there is very little chance of going near combat.