View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

Hey, signed up to 2+2 just to post here, just like to say, read the book through once and i think it's very good. Also, i think it's great the authors take the time to post here. A couple of things it would be good if you could comment on though which i haven't seen mentioned here or in the study group threads i've read so far (so please direct me to the right place if you have already answered). I think you place too much emphasis in the book on achieving a good SPR and suggest making strange moves such as (p225) limping/min-raising with KK. If you limp with KK UTG 8 handed you could find yourself in a multi-way pot OOP with a big pocket pair which is surely a much worse position to be in than having an unfavourable SPR?! I'd think it would be much better to (for example) raise making the pot HU and then play it passively to encourage your aggressive opponent to steal. I think this advice is especially bad since beginner/intermediate players reading the book may well find it hard to fold their KK in a multiway pot OOP when they flop an overpair and are beaten, I understand that you're not saying always limp KK rather than raise if it will give an unfavourable SPR but i just think it is a bad example to give people. You also suggest limping hands like AQ in parts of the book to get a high rather than medium SPR where i feel that raising is a much better play. If you limp AQ in a multiway pot you are likely to lose a small pot most of the time, win a small pot sometimes or lose a big pot rarely (assuming opponents aren't getting in big pots with TPWK etc). If you raise, even with an unfavourable SPR, i think the hand plays much better. So overall i guess i'm trying to say, great concept and i'll definitely be aware of it and incorporate it into my game but do you think in trying to enforce it's importance you may have overstated it somewhat to the exclusion of other important concepts which may lead readers to misplay hands?

Comment 2 is that it would be great to see some more discussion on 3 bet pots. The concepts given are great for raised pots but in aggro online games raise to 4bb 3bet to 13bb is something you see a hell of a lot. This means with 100bb stacks, more than 10% goes in preflop and a cbet takes us to more than 1/3 of the stacks. This is where most tough decisions come in when you 3bet, cbet, get shoved on and have a hand. I guess you'll say don't cbet if you're not committed (or have nothing and are purely stealing) but then what? c/f flop? This lets people steal from you very easily if you have say 99 and flop comes T65. c/f flop is very weak but betting (or c/c) puts you over the commitment threshold when you might not be committed. So then you might say don't 3bet to 13bb pre? Surely if you are playing in a game with good aggro players, it is not an option to have a very narrow 3betting range? Watching cardrunners videos etc, the top players will always have a wide 3 betting range. Comments on how SPR fits in with these aggro online 6max games would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, you say varying your raise size pre depending on what you have will not make your hands obvious to your opponents as you will be betting different amounts against different stacks etc. I'm not sure how well this holds as if there are varying stack sizes at the table, you mostly don't know who will call your pre-flop raise so you will probably raise to suit a 100bb stack size almost always. Also if your opponents have read your book they will soon work it out! Creating a low SPR means TP/overpair type hand almost always, creating a high SPR means you are worried about creating a medium one and can probably be pushed off your hand etc.

Anyway, this was a longer post than i originally intended and just to make it clear, i think it is a great book which shows important concepts but these are just a few things that came to mind after reading it through once, maybe after rereading more closely i will understand more fully.